The Professional Developers of Iowa celebrated 40 years of great work growing Iowa's economic base in 2013. Take a look at what our past leaders and allied partners have to say about our proud history in the 40th Anniversary Booklet and on YouTube.
A Brief Timeline of PDI's 40 Year History
- Started in 1973 with around 50 members.
- Original name was Iowa Professional Developers.
- Original membership limited to those doing 100% economic development; included primarily state development office, utilities, railroads, and full-time community developers.
- In late 80’s membership was broadened to include community colleges, extension service, workforce development, councils of governments, etc.
- About the same time focus and mission was changed from industrial development to economic development.
- In 1988 State Public Policy Group was hired to provide association management.
- Association Management Ltd. took over in 2004.
- Re-incorporated in 1989 as Professional Developers of Iowa to achieve tax-exempt status.
- The late 80’s and 90’s also saw the creation of many new county-based economic development groups.
- The net effect of these changes was that membership grew rapidly with women members comprising an ever larger percentage of the total.
- Conferences were included as a part of member benefit early on.
- Conferences were held twice yearly with the spring conference alternating between western and eastern Iowa, and the fall annual meeting in central Iowa. Every conference had its own theme, with networking being common to all.