Please find a series of documents attached at the bottom of this article from the Iowa Workforce Development Labor Market Information section outlining the status of the Iowa economy and the status of our workforce. The attachments include unemployment by county. Please pass along to all interested parties.
Please note the following:
- Iowa’s unemployment rate fell for the fifth time in the past six months, dropping to 5.3 percent in February.
- Iowa’s jobless rate was 5.4 percent in January, and 6.0 percent one year ago. Iowa’s unemployment rate is the sixth lowest in the U.S.
- The state’s number of unemployed fell to 88,500 in February, the best reading since December 2008.
- The drop in initial jobless claims and better nonfarm payroll growth suggests a real firming in the Iowa labor market.
- Iowa’s nonfarm employment increased by 8,700 in February, which was the fourth gain in the past five months.
- The current figure is also 17,200 higher than one year ago.
- Job gains occurred across most sectors in February. Education and health services posted the largest increase for the month at 3,600.
- Manufacturing led all sectors in gains since February 2011, advancing by 11,000 jobs.
Please continue to let us know how we can assist your business.
For business services please visit us at http://www.iowaworks.org/index.html
Thank you for all that you do for Iowa.
Iowa Workforce Development
1000 E. Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50309-0209
Office: (515) 281-5082
Fax: (515) 281-4698
upload/county unemployment rate mapFEB12.pdf
upload/Feb 2012 Employment Sit.doc