Iowa Student Internship Program: A Resource for Small to Mid-Sized Companies
Internships are an essential part of the college experience. Not only do they help students gain real-world experience and get acclimated to a professional environment, but they also demonstrate to potential employers that the intern is capable of adding value to their organization.
The Iowa Student Internship Program provides grants to small and medium sized companies in the advanced manufacturing, biosciences, and information technology industries to help support their internship programs. The Iowa Economic Development Authority will accept applications through April 30, 2014 or until the funds run out.
Eligibility and Award Information
The program is available to Iowa based companies that meet the following criteria:
- Fewer than 500 employees, with a significant portion employed within the state of Iowa and engaged in one of the following industries: biosciences, advanced manufacturing or information technology.
- Offer the internship to students of Iowa community colleges, private colleges, regent universities or to students who graduated from an Iowa high school and attend a college or university outside of the state
- An eligible student must be within two years of graduation
- Summer internships will last a minimum of eight weeks (averaging no less than 30 hours per week). Semester internships will last a minimum of 14 weeks (averaging no less than 10 hours per week.)
- Pay the intern at least twice the minimum wage ($14.50).
Eligible companies can apply for support for up to three internships for fiscal year 2014. The program is managed on a reimbursement bases. The award amount allowable through this program will be in an amount of one dollar for every two dollars paid by the business to the intern, up to $3,100 per intern.
Companies interested in participating in the Iowa Student Internship Program will find the application at http://iowaeconomicdevelopment.com/WorkforceTraining/student
If you have questions about the program, please contact Alana Anderson at
515-725-3196 or Alana.firstname.lastname@example.org